Instead of taking the math placement test, we are now offering a problem-solving entrance exam. We provide a free, online, self-paced pre-enrollment course to prepare you for the exam. Students whose results on the problem-solving entrance exam are borderline may be requested to take a math placement exam to help determine their acceptance.
What is the Math Placement Test?
The Math Placement Test is a 30-question test, delivered online in a proctored setting, to measure your current math and quantitative reasoning skills. It takes 2 to 3 hours to complete. Taking the Math Placement Test, in addition to submitting your standard application materials (transcripts, resume, references, and statement of purpose), can qualify you for our program. The cost of the test is $5. The minimum required score is 76 to have your application considered.
Steps for Taking the Test:
- If you are requested to take the math placement exam, you may contact us to set up a time to take the math test.
- We will email you instructions on how to create your math test account.
- After account creation, you will be asked to take an unproctored Self-Assessment test. This practice test familiarizes you with the system and provides recommendations for sections you should study for optimal performance on the proctored test.
- Study the recommended sections from the Self-Assessment test.
- Before beginning the test, you must pay a $5 test administration fee. You can pay using a credit card.
- Take the proctored test on the date you scheduled. You can take the proctored test up to 2 times.
How to Register
Once you apply to the program, we will send you an email where you can choose a test date, and then we’ll email you instructions on how to create your account and begin preparing.
Structure of the Test
Once you have created an account, you will then be able to take the practice test, which familiarizes you with the system and gives you feedback on which sections you should study to perform optimally in your proctored Math Placement test. Once you’ve done this initial assessment, you can take the proctored Math Placement test up to 2 times.
2nd Math Verification Test – On Campus
After being accepted to the MSD program, students will need to verify their math score with a second proctored test after arrival on campus. This second test is a confirmation test and will be proctored live by our staff in a classroom. Our proctors will be monitoring for academic honesty and integrity. You will take it on our computers, in the same test account you created for your first test.
Students are expected to score similar marks compared to their first test. The admissions committee will review and may revoke the acceptance of a student who scores significantly lower on this test.
Note: Due to Covid-19, you may need to take the GRE online.
What is the GRE Test?
The GRE is a standardized test that graduate schools use to assess the quantitative, verbal, and analytical aptitudes of prospective students. GRE is an abbreviation for “Graduate Record Examinations”. For our purposes, we’re mostly concerned with the “quantitative reasoning section”, although we would like you to still take all three sections. See a test overview of the GRE here.
The GRE can be taken in-person at testing centers across the country, or online. Taking the GRE typically takes about 5 hours and costs around $205. We will reimburse you for the cost of taking it if you have already applied to our program.
If you’d like to get a sense of where you’re currently at with your exam scoring, you can take a free online GRE practice test by clicking here.
How to register for the GRE:
- ONLINE: If you wish to take the test online, go here: Online GRE
- LOCAL TEST CENTER: If you prefer to take the test at a local test center, go to: “Test Centers and Dates” section of the ETS.org/GRE website.
- Click “View test centers, test dates, and seat availability”
- Select the test by choosing “GRE General Test”
- Enter your zip code
- Choose the two-month time window for when you would like to take the test
- Click “Find available test centers and dates.” See calendar and map with pins. The pins represent test center locations near the zip code you entered.
- Choose a date that works for you
- Choose a testing center location offering a test on that date
- Click “Show Test Times” to see the available times and select a time that works for you.
- If a certain location or time doesn’t work for you, try selecting a different test date
- Click “Register”
- Create an ETS account (if you don’t have one already). You need to be signed in to your ETS account to continue. If you need help on how to create an ETS account, you can review this video.
- Test Preparation: During your registration process, you have an opportunity to obtain free online practice tests. Do this! Additional study resources are available for purchase if you like. Our recommendation is to at least obtain the two practice tests (called POWERPREP Online–Practice Test 1 & 2) by clicking the “Add to Cart” checkbox next to them. They are free, so the cost is listed as $0.00.
- Cost: Your cost, if you didn’t purchase any of the premium GRE test preparation products, should be $205.
- Complete Purchase
How to Prepare for the GRE
- Practice Tests: We recommend at least two practice tests before taking the GRE. If you would like to obtain a premium GRE preparation guide and study the quantitative reasoning section, you are welcome to do so. The ETS organization has preparation materials that you can buy from the ETS store when you register for your GRE.
- To take your free online GRE practice tests, login to your ETS account.
- Click on “MY GRE Home”
- Click on “My Test Preparation and Services”.
- Click on “Go to Practice Test”. Only start the test if you have enough time to finish it, as you won’t be able to take your practice test again.
- Send us your scores
- When you complete the GRE, your testing center will ask if you want to send your scores to any universities. Choose us from the list of available universities.
- Our university name is Maharishi International University. (We recently changed our name from Maharishi University of Management, so it’s possible we might be listed under our previous name.)
- Here are our codes:
- University Code: Maharishi Univ Management (4497)
- Department Code: Computer Science (402)