As part of the Master’s in Software Development, you’ll do the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique every day, which will enhance your ability to learn, to be creative, to focus, and to be joyous. This meditation technique is part of the program because of the impact it has on student success as well as for the purpose of helping students live happy and fulfilling lives.
Transcendental Meditation is a meditation technique where you sit comfortably in a chair for 20 minutes with your eyes closed and do an effortless mental technique that helps you to go beyond the surface level of your awareness. When you go beyond the surface level of your awareness, you relax, get deep rest, and reduce your stress level. For more information about Transcendental Meditation, see TM.org.
For On-Campus Students
There are two options for learning Transcendental Meditation. You can learn it when you arrive on campus, or you can learn it from a local Transcendental Meditation center near you before you arrive. We encourage you to learn before you arrive.
For Online Students
You will need to learn from a local Transcendental Meditation center near you before classes start.
Instructions for How to Learn Transcendental Meditation
- Go to the TM.org website
- Click “Find TM Teacher” (orange button on the top of the page)
- Enter your details, including your zip code (the website will give you the contact information for the nearest TM Teacher to you)
- You will be sent an email with the contact information for your local TM teacher. Contact the TM Teacher listed and inquire about learning TM
- To learn TM would normally cost $380, but you are eligible for the “MIU Scholarship” (please tell your TM Teacher) so the cost will only be $190. If you will be coming to campus, this $190 will be refunded to you.
- Once you have learned Transcendental Meditation, please submit this form with your TM instruction details and notify your admissions counselor that you learned TM.